Sunday 13 July 2014

'And the walls kept tumbling down...'

Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

There's been an internet craze around this book, to the extent that I actually felt an urge so strong to purchase it that I did, which is rare for me, as this is a book which sits firmly in the Young Adult genre. 

I think the most controversial aspect of this book is the style of writing. Now I admired the deconstructed way Lockhart formed the narration, it clearly represented Cadence's fragile mental state. I write like this sometimes, so it is a style I admire. I also liked how the non-logical style of writing separated this book from other YA titles, so that the novel became a literary-YA hybrid. However it was sometimes annoying, and I think I can learn from this, to not let style overcome narrative. 

The one thing I didn't get was the title, and the classification of the group of four cousins as 'Liars' because, well, they weren't. Calling the group 'Liars' just made them seem like a PLL rip off, which they so weren't.  Cadence is never outright lying, she just cannot remember things. The book doesn't seem like it is ever actually about the act of lying, more the tearing down of lies and the final act of seeing things clearly. 

I won't talk about the plot, but it is a great, gripping one that keeps you hooked until the last page; I read this book in less than 24 hours. I would definitely recommend this book, especially for getting back into reading after a long hiatus, or if you only have  short amount of time in which you can read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for reading!