Tuesday 26 August 2014

'Come on to me, come on to me now...'

For my uni course I've read a lot of books. A lot. I've tried to keep up, but I'll admit there are a few that I've given up with halfway through. On here, I usually just write about books I liked or would recommend, however I have had to suffer my way through some turkeys. So here are a few reads I would definitely avoid, unless you only use books to fall asleep or get angry.

Pamela by Samuel Richardson
Oh my god the narrator is ridiculous. Oh my god the plot is ridiculous. It's just a silly book, with an immature heroine,  If I ever wanted to burn a book, it was this. (I also disliked Joseph Andrews by Henry Fielding which we read as a companion to this one).

Humphry Clinker by Tobias Smollet
This was a story of bodily functions and strange, strange people. I did not enjoy- I just did not find it funny at all, despite it's satirical aims.

The Mill on the Floss by George Elliot

Sometimes I love a good country romp story. Sometimes. However this, I did not. The novel was quite frankly frivolous and boring. I think I found Maggie too annoying to comprehend her as a heroine. Although I loved her development, her intelligence and her morals, overall she was irritating. This isn't a book I wholly detested, but I'd only recommend it if you are an Elliot fan.

What Maisie Knew by Henry James
The overwrought lexical style drives me crazy. Why use one word to describe an action when you can use 20? No, just no. I already knew I disliked James after reading just the Preface of Portrait of a Lady. However this, which I'm currently reading, is just drumming in the dislike. I can't wait until it's finished, and don't expect to enjoy that week of my uni course.

That's it for now, I don't think I can deal with any more book negativity. Adios. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for reading!