Monday 7 July 2014

'No it's not a good look gain some self control...'

Review: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

If there was a woman I ever wanted to be, at this moment in time it's Mindy Kaling. Not because she's perfect or my idol, because she's so funny and she's had an epic career. She's worked really hard and stuck to her guns and being herself and it's paid off. She wrote a play which transferred briefly to LA and Broadway, made her name writing for The Office, which I need to work my way through on Netflix, and now writes and stars in her own show The Mindy Project, which my housemate and I very look forward to dinner whilst watching when it comes out. 

Mindy is not a celebrity, she is a real person. She admits to spending 'writing' days in bed, procrastinating by online shopping (she knows all of her card details off by heart). Hello? If you know me, then you know this is me too. 

Most of all, I don't like her just because she's a woman. There are plenty of other funny women in comedy, and although I applaud her for making her way I don't do it just because it's a masculine world, I applaud her for being resolutely herself, for being successful to her own standards. She admits when she's wrong or can't do something for the greater good of her career, which I love. Mindy wasn't made for Saturday Night Live or working with people who can't be wound up, and that's okay. 

I also agree with some of her ideas about life (lovers being pals, the subtle exit etc). Mindy rocks. And she makes me believe Michaela might too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for reading!